VivaLDI: Project Management for Leading Digital Initiatives
When and Where
Course Duration: 3 days (9:00 - 17:00)
We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment. Dates are subject to change.
4 - 6 February | 20 - 22 May | 12- 14 August | 28 - 30 October
25 - 27 February | 10 - 12 June | 2 - 4 September | 18 - 20 November
Winchester Mansions Hotel, Sea Point
211 Beach Road
Sea Point, Cape Town
Tel: +27 21 434 2351
Durban - Contact us for 2013/14 dates.
Click here to read Karen's note on 'Project Management, an important culture for the 21st Century'
Your course leader is Karen Parkin, a digital strategist, e-marketer, corporate e-commerce expert and international internet business veteran, who has managed major award-winning web development projects for some of the world's largest corporations. Karen is an outstanding leader with an enviable depth of experience in Information Technology, advertising, new media, web development and e-commerce. Wherever she has worked, she has rapidly acquired a reputation for planning, execution, and delivery on complex high-pressure projects demanding sound business judgment, creative flair, and technical innovation.
Before returning to South Africa she led the global projects that took Marriott International from having a US-only website to its international presence in 20 countries and 9 languages. Marriott’s e-commerce operations now take over $17 million a day in online hotel reservations, for their 3,000 hotels around the world, and last year they were voted Best Hotel Website by Business Traveller magazine.
She has working on e-marketing projects for the past 10 years in large and small companies and agencies. Her web projects have been with organisations as diverse as Intel, Lockheed Martin, the BBC, and The Humane Society of the USA, and she has managed several award-winning websites in the US. She has in-depth experience of all aspects of online marketing in the hospitality industry. She has a great understanding of multicultural work environments and international markets and is a recognized guru in internationalisation and localisation. More about Karen
Why Project Management for Leading Digital Initiatives?
In today’s competitive and fast-paced environment, the creation of high quality products and services is critical to the survival of any organisation. Well managed projects are an important part of this because they are recognised as one of the most effective ways for achieving change and getting things done successfully.
In a web environment the business culture expectation is that things work at ‘web speed’ – they need to be fast, flexible and responsive to changes and opportunities. Working in such a liberal and real-time environment is fraught with dangers and failed e-projects are legion. It is therefore important that the work is done within the context of a project framework – a project framework that provides agile and professional processes that ensure that the project gets to where it is going – on time and in budget.
This comprehensive core course gives you the understanding, foundation, experience, techniques and tools
The course is tailored precisely to the context of the modern 21st century organisation, particularly in e-business scenarios, with their many demands and complexities. There is more to web-based projects than most people realise. And whether the project is large or small – the processes and steps one goes through should be the same. It is just the scale of effort that will differ. For example – whether you are building a fully functioning transactional website or just one page – you must define the objectives, specify the budget, plan the work, and define a start and end. If you don’t, you can find that even in the smallest ‘project’ tasks can drag on endlessly, cost more than you would like and at the end you will find that you have something that does not meet your expectations, is of poor quality and of limited value. Project disciplines and tools are there to ensure that this does not happen.
- to manage each stage of the project life cycle
- to work within organizational and cost constraints
- to set goals that are tied to the stakeholder needs
- to get the most from culturally diverse and geographically dispersed teams
- and to get the work done on time and within budget.
This pragmatic and down to earth course will teach you what makes projects invaluable for any web based initiative and what makes project manager worth their weight in gold! Based on the very latest thinking and experience in the US and UK, this course provides up-to-date rigorous skills and knowledge for anyone who is planning to become certified in Project Management. All course participants will benefit from a wealth of indispensable real-world examples, exercises, and take-away materials.
Why Should You Attend?
The VivalDI course will convince you that project management is indeed the only way to get any web-related initiative done right. It will give you an arsenal of professional Project Management tools and techniques and the comfort to be able to use them appropriately for your projects – ‘horses for courses’ – the right set of tools for each task.
If you are a frustrated IT or web developer because you have too much work, not enough time and are constantly swimming against the tide, then this course is for you. It will help you formulate projects, define requirements, plan realistic dates, make realistic promises, set and manage realistic expectations, and deliver better quality and have satisfied customers.
If you are a marketing executive or business owner or sponsor, you need to know how to manage your projects and those who are working on them for you. You need to know how to use the project environment to ensure that you get what you want when you want it, and that you aren’t going to be presented with any surprises.
If you want to pursue a career in Project Management then this course is for you too. It will provide you with the professional disciplines, know-how and skills that any PM professional needs to put together and run any project, no matter what its scope or focus.
Who Should Attend?
This course is aimed at anyone who is involved in projects (or work that should be packaged into projects)
The course is of particular value to people who are involved in web related projects.
- Project managers, aspiring project managers
- Project team members (developers, techies, design and creative team members, quality assurance)
- Agencies – client services, account management, project management and team members.
- Business professionals and stakeholders (whether you are the financial sponsor of the project or a technical or marketing consultant to the project)
- Functional management looking to develop project management disciplines within your organisation
It applies the PMBOK® (Project Management Body of Knowledge) and provides practical tools and techniques that are specific to the needs of web related projects and the fast paced demanding environment of e-commerce.
What Will You Learn?
You will leave this course not only with a great understanding of Project Management, but also with a practical ability to apply it effectively to your own web projects.
What is more you will be equipped with an arsenal of best practices, inspiring and enlightening examples, and guidelines for staying in tune with developments in the future. You will learn:
And you'll be totally psyched to take charge of your own your own web projects!
- Master fundamental web Project Management skills, concepts and techniques
- Link project goals and objectives to stakeholder needs
- Estimate project costs and schedules using simple techniques
- Assemble a project team and gain commitment on project objectives
- Plan, estimate and organize project efforts
- Identify customer requirements using proven techniques
- Apply simple but effective tools to identify and respond to risks
- Understand how to manage change within the fast-paces web environment
- Enhance and develop new communication skills
- Create an culture where quality is part of the project
- Customise the techniques for e-related projects
Detailed Course Contents
Introduction to Project Management
- Definition of Project Management
- Web Projects – how and why they are different
- Why Project Management
- Why projects succeed and why they fail
- Overview of PMBOK® (Project Management Body of Knowledge)
- Organisational and business context
- The 21st Century organisation
- The Matrix organisation
Getting Started – Web Project Initiation
- Needs assessment
- Who are they?
- Meeting the customers’ needs
- Project selection and prioritisation
- Defining smart project objectives
- Business Vision
- Project Charter
- Scope Definition
- Statement of Work (SOW)
- Developing and Documenting Requirements
Web Project Planning
- Project Life Cycle
- Scope planning
- Triple Constraint
- Define Project Effort
- WBS – work breakdown structure
- Network diagrams
- Activity planning
- Schedule development
- Project Estimating (cost estimating and budgeting)
- Effective Project Scheduling
- Tools and techniques - Gantt charts, Milestones
- Planning and levelling resources
- Cost planning
- Responsibilities Matrix
- Risk Planning
- Quality Planning
Leadership and Communication
- The difference between management and leadership
- Leadership styles
- Leading and building effective teams
- Communicating with stakeholders and management
- Communicating with the project team
- Communication processes and tools (eg escalation)
- Project in the business and organisation environment
- Project team structure
- Handling conflict
- Managing Resources
- Authority vs Influence
Web Project Implementation
- Change Management
- Risk Management
- Assessing and monitoring project performance and progress
- Project life cycles –and how to use them well
- Projects vs Operations
- Verify scope and customer acceptance
- Closure of administrative and contractual issues
- Lessons learned
Related areas of interest
- Managing complex projects
- Project Governance – Project Management Organisation
Download Info Sheet
Download Info Sheet (PDF 1MB) for this course
R6,700 *R 4,500 incl VAT, lunch, refreshments, course materials and certificate.
Contact us for the the 2013 Fee Information
Terms and Conditions (read full Terms and Conditions)
Participation in the course is subject to payment recieved prior to the course date.
In the event of a cancellation, for whatever reason, the following will apply:
- Reschedule Fee 7 days or less prior to course day - R500.00
- Cancellation 7 days prior to course day - Full payment will be due as a cancellation fee
- Cancellation 14 days prior to course day - 50% of payment will be due as a cancellation fee
Register For This Course
You can Register in any of the below ways:
Fax: Print out this registration form for VivaLDI: Project Management for Leading Digital Initiatives (DOC 201kB) or for the E-Marketing Professional certificate use this registration form (DOC 195kB) and fax it to us at 086 693 3575
Phone: Call us on 021 794 7838 and we'll take your details.
Online: Select your desired course dates in the below box, hit the Register button and follow the simple process to register online in our secure environment. Or -
E-mail: Send us an e-mail and we'll follow up with you.