Finesse: The Digital Usability Course
When and Where
Course Duration: 1 day (9:00 - 17:00)
We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment. Dates are subject to change.
5 September | 21 November
Winchester Mansions Hotel, Sea Point
211 Beach Road
Sea Point, Cape Town
Tel: 021 434 2351
13 June | 19 September | 28 November
Course Leader Your course leader is Karen Parkin, a digital strategist, e-marketer, corporate e-commerce expert and international internet business veteran, who has managed major award-winning web development projects for some of the world's largest corporations. Karen is an outstanding leader with an enviable depth of experience in Information Technology, advertising, new media, web development and e-commerce. Wherever she has worked, she has rapidly acquired a reputation for planning, execution, and delivery on complex high-pressure projects demanding sound business judgment, creative flair, and technical innovation.
Before returning to South Africa she led the global projects that took Marriott International from having a US-only website to its international presence in 20 countries and 9 languages. Marriott’s e-commerce operations now take over $17 million a day in online hotel reservations, for their 3,000 hotels around the world, and last year they were voted Best Hotel Website by Business Traveller magazine.
She has working on e-marketing projects for the past 10 years in large and small companies and agencies. Her web projects have been with organisations as diverse as Intel, Lockheed Martin, the BBC, and The Humane Society of the USA, and she has managed several award-winning websites in the US. She has in-depth experience of all aspects of online marketing in the hospitality industry. She has a great understanding of multicultural work environments and international markets and is a recognized guru in internationalisation and localisation. More about Karen
Why The Digital Usability Course?
Why do we care about usability? Father of website usability, Jakob Nielsen said that it is in fact a condition for survival. It is something we need to take very seriously and it is a powerful weapon that can save money, improve competitiveness and create loyal customers.
This course empowers people to play a leadership role in conceiving and designing an interactive product that is focused on the principles of usability and creating customer experiences. Whether you are developing a website, Facebook page or mobile app, the principles taught in this class are universally applicable. The course is ideal for marketing people, designers and programmers.
Why Should You Attend?
The course shows the way for a adopting a customer centric philosophy to designing user interactions. All too often the approach taken is driven by visual design (designing something to look good), technology (using ‘cool’ functionality or implementing the latest technology tricks) or company centric thinking (focused on the company and its organisation). This course places the customer at the core of the design approach.
It is only through understanding and caring about the customer, that we can develop compelling experiences. Our objective is to exceed the user’s expectations by offering excellent value and in so doing create satisfied and loyal customers.
This course teaches the principles of usability and defines the elements that define a customer experience. The course provides the human centred methodology plus the tools and techniques that should be used in the design process. It also shows the how the tools should be used in the context of a project using the 7-step Web Methodology.
Usability addresses all aspects of a design – the information architecture which defines the structure of the site; content strategy – which addresses how content is classified, categorised and organised; visual design – how design enhances the interaction; and technology – how technology helps the user accomplish their goals effectively and efficiently. The course addresses the issue of ‘organisation’ which is one of the most important elements that determine whether a site is usable or not.
The user centred approach must importantly be balanced with the company’s needs and business objectives. But companies must realise that usability is necessary for survival in this fast paced, competitive world where the consumer will abandon their website at the click of a mouse if they become frustrated with not finding what they are looking for, if it takes too long to do what they need to do, or for any other usability issue that they might experience.
The course covers Usability Testing, what it is and how to go about conducting a fully-fledged Usability Test. It goes through the various ways in which Usability Testing can be applied and used, from identifying and defining the site’s requirements, to validation and testing of design ideas and though to assessing existing sites.
Who Should Attend?
This course is a must for anyone who makes tactical or strategic business or marketing decisions about online initiatives, or has to interact with those who do, including:
- business strategists
- marketing managers, product and brand managers
- new product development people
- advertising, marketing & PR agency executives
- website developers, information architects, and creative personnel
- e-commerce and e-marketing teams
- customer service managementand staff
What Will You Learn?
· You will leave this course not only with a great understanding of what usability and customer experience is, but also with the practical ability to lead any initiative with a customer centric approach.
· You will be confident and know what the best practises are and be inspired by examples and guidelines discussed in the course. You will learn:
- What is Usability and Customer Experience and why are they so important.
- What are personas and how to create and use them in a practical way
- What are scenarios and activity based design. How to create and analyse scenarios
- What is Information Architecture and Content Strategy and how important it is to organise a site and the content.
- What Usability Testing and Research is. How to conduct It and what to expect from it.
- The 7-step Web Development Methodology – a structure approach to running a web project.
- Tools and techniques for customer centric design.
- How to work with designers and programmers in a project.
And you will be totally psyched to adopt a customer centric approach to all your future projects.
Detailed Course Contents
- The New Consumer
- What is Usability and User Experience and why are they so important.
- The Principles of Web Design
o User Centred Design
o Scenarios – Activity based design
- Usability Research and Testing
o Principles of Usability Testing
- Usability testing vs. other methods
- What to test
- Who to test
- How to test
o How to conduct Usability Testing
o Typical Usability Testing project
- The 7-step Web Development Methodology
o Information Architecture
o Site organisation and structure
o Functionality – task flows, and page flows
o Content Strategy
o Design considerations
o Writing for the web
o QA and testing
Download the Info Sheet
Finesse: The Digital Usability course Info Sheet (1MB)
Fee: R 2600 incl VAT, lunch, refreshments, course materials and certificate.
Contact us for the 2013 Fee Information.
Terms and Conditions (read full Terms and Conditions)
Participation in the course is subject to payment received prior to the course date.
In the event of a cancellation, for whatever reason, the following will apply:
- Reschedule Fee 7 days or less prior to course day - R500.00
- Cancellation 7 days prior to course day - Full payment will be due as a cancellation fee
- Cancellation 14 days prior to course day - 50% of payment will be due as a cancellation fee
Register For This Course
You can Register for this course in any of the below ways:
Fax: Print out this registration form (DOC 202KB) and fax it to us at 086 693 3575.
Phone: Call us on 021 7947838 and we'll take your details.
Online: Select your desired course dates in the below box, hit the Register button and follow the simple process to register online in our secure environment. Or -
E-mail: Send us an e-mail and we'll follow up with you.